Gaining experience in the work place
Gaining work experience is a great way to learn about a particular job and develop your skills in the world of work.
A work experience placement can last from 1 day up to 2 weeks and helps give you insight into a business and could help you with future job applications.
The benefits of work experience include:
- Opportunity to explore different careers and learn first-hand what a job entails
- Chance to speak with employees and find out how they entered that career
- Gain an understanding of what employers expect from employees
- Develop your skills and self-confidence, and build up your CV
- Create contacts that could lead to opportunities in the future
Finding work experience
There are a large number of companies offering work experience days and weeks to 16-18 year olds but it’s also worth asking your family and friends, or local business owners.
A great place to start is studentladder.co.uk/work-experience where you can explore current work experience opportunities in different industries.
Virtual work experience
Virtual work experience is a great way to learn about being in the workplace without having to go out on a placement.
Here’s some helpful links for exploring virtual work experience:
» Accenture Virtual Work Experience
» Barclays Life Skills Virtual Work Experience
» Speakers for Schools – Virtual Work Experience
» Spring Pod Virtual Work Experience